Non-Japanese Animation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Non-Japanese Animation

Post by Mako Mankanshoku on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Hopefully I can weed some people out, here. I do like anime, but that's because I like all kind of animation, and I'm hoping that there are more people here like that. Even if you don't keep up with animation that much, be it western or indie or whatever else, I'm hoping everybody here at least can remember some shows from their childhood.

As for me, I'm a huge fan of Craig McCracken, his favorite work of mine being The Powerpuff Girls. In fact, there's only one anime that I an say with conviction that I enjoy more than that show. I'm also a huge fan of Gravity Falls. And one of my favorite movies ever definitely is The Secret of Kells, a french animated film.

So be it Cartoon Network, Disney, Dreamworks, Youtube Animations, Obscure Indie Stuff or Foreign Animation that's not from Asia, what's some stuff you enjoy or have been watching lately?
Mako Mankanshoku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Non-Japanese Animation

Post by KyZin on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 pm

I might actually be able to speak about this a bit since I grew up watching cartoons. For me one of my favorite cartoons to watch is Courage the Cowardly Dog. I like how he always gets into such odd and sometimes very terrifying situations but he comes through for Muriel anyway (and sometimes Eustace). For slightly newer cartoons I liked. I was a big fan of Megas XLR and Invader Zim. Its too bad neither of them air anymore.
KyZin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Those are great shows. If you still like Invader Zim, you might wanna look into Johnny The Homicidal Maniac. It's the comic that the guy who wrote Invader Zim worked on primarily.

Courage was pretty dang creepy for me as a kid.
Mako Mankanshoku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Please don't hate me for this, but I actually really like the first season of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I also really like Batman: The Animated Series, Fairly Oddparents, Invader Zim, Adventure Time, and Gravity Falls, but I wouldn't consider myself to be part of any of those fandoms... In fact, most of the time I'm not in the mood for watching them, but when I am in the mood for western animation, those shows are all so great to me.
SleepyOtaku
Admin

View user profile http://otakustyle.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KyZin on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 pm

Well I wont hate you for any of that. After all Batman: the animated series, fairly oddparents, invader zim and adventure time were all good shows. Haven't heard of gravity falls and I have no comment about My little pony.
KyZin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:40 am

Those are all terrific shows, sleepyhead! Anybody that hates on someone for what kind of stuff they enjoy isn't even worth talking to. I also watch FiM, in fact.
Mako Mankanshoku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:25 am

Hehe, I like this nickname you've given me. >w< Yes, I suppose you're right. Also now I need to ask the infamous question: who is best pony?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:53 pm

My favorite is Rarity, and then Pinkie Pie. I was completely sold on Rarity once I realized that her glam backdrops were probably actually being created by her unicorn magic. At least, it's the theory that I still subscribe too.

Also, I'm glad you like it! Getting a nickname you don't like can be pretty bad.
Mako Mankanshoku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:04 am

That's interesting... I never even thought of that. It makes sense considering Rarity's power...

My favourite is Pinkie Pie. I have always looked up to optimistic characters in any media, especially if they struggle with a dark side, and Pinkie Pie leaves hints of that. I like to think of characters like that as role-models, because I also have dark times in my life where I struggle to be optimistic.

SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:40 am

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy both are pretty interesting in their implicit issues. I don't think any of the main cast ever really completely leave their problems behind, even though they learn lessons and manage to better themselves in other ways. That duality alone makes it a lot more refreshing than other shows in the ocean of "little girl's cartoons".

Pinkie Pie is a really close runner up for me as favorite.
Mako Mankanshoku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndeGame on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:04 pm

I love Courage, Ed, Edd, & Eddy, Invader Zim, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Angry Beavers.. I think that's all of them. lol
AndeGame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KyZin on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:07 pm

I remember watching all of those shows...well except Ren and Stimpy and they were fun to watch. It's too bad they don't have any new episodes anymore.
KyZin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyOtaku on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:39 pm

I completely forgot to mention Disney (besides Gravity Falls). Surprised My favourite Disney movie is either Pocahontas or Mulan... It's very hard for me to choose between those two, but I love them both very much.

SleepyOtaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mako Mankanshoku on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:15 pm

My favorite Disney movie is probably Aladdin. Even though it has the worst love story.
Mako Mankanshoku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndeGame on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:13 pm

Mako Mankanshoku wrote:My favorite Disney movie is probably Aladdin. Even though it has the worst love story.

& those supposedly hilarious undercover balcony dialogue :p
AndeGame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top